FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is SideLeague?
SideLeague is a daily fantasy sports app built for iPhone and Android devices. SideLeague focuses on providing daily fantasy football, daily fantasy basketball, daily fantasy baseball and daily fantasy hockey contests. Social network integration makes inviting, messaging, sharing and competing with friends seamless.
Can I really play for money?
Yes, but you don't have to! SideLeague offers "free-to-play" and "pay-to-play" contests, both of which have prizes.
Is SideLeague legal?
Yes, under the 2006 Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA) fantasy sports is considered a game of skill and is therefore excluded from laws affecting online sports betting. SideLeague is currently available to play in the United States and Canada with the exception of: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New York, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Washington or the province of Quebec, Canada. Unfortunately, SideLeague is unable to provide fantasy sports contests in these locations due to more stringent, state specific regulations. SideLeague reserves the right to verify participants’ location via GPS.
How does scoring work?
Scoring details for daily fantasy NFL, NHL, NBA & MLB can be found here.
When and how often do contests take place?
- Two contests are available each week of the NFL regular season. Weekly contests begin with the Thursday night game and go through the following Monday night game. Users can also enter the popular Sunday - Monday contest.
- Contests are available every day regular season for NBA, NHL, and MLB. Each contest runs for three days.
- Contest entries will be allowed up until 10 minutes before the scheduled start time of the first game included in the contest.
How many people will be competing in a contest?
The number of allowed participants may vary. Prior to entering a contest the number of allowed participants will be provided.
What happens if a contest doesn’t reach the expected number of participants?
If a contest does not fill with enough participants the contest will not run. SideLeague will do its best effort to notify participants of any cancelled contests via push notifications and email notifications (when enabled by the user). No additional participants will be allowed to enter once the contest has begun.
Why is there no salary cap?
We believe that the salary cap only complicates the drafting process. Rather than operating within the artificial constraints of a salary cap system and dealing with its inherent mistakes, SideLeague participants can focus on specific match-up analyses and are free to choose who they feel will perform best.
How do I join a contest?
You can enter daily fantasy contests right on the SideLeague home screen. Select the green “JOIN” button for each sport you want to play. From there you can choose players for your lineup and select which games for which you will be awarded points.
How do I play with my friends?
Once your lineup has been set, you will be asked to select which skill level/entry fee level you’d like to enter. Each available level will display your friends who have already entered that contest. You can scroll through what’s available to you and choose which friends you’d like to play with.
How do I invite friends to SideLeague?
We highly suggest connecting your Facebook account to SideLeague, it's the easiest way to play with friends! There are currently three ways for you to invite friends:
- After joining a contest, your home screen will display your "Upcoming Matches" and a button to invite friends.
- Your home screen will display our "High Five" promotion. Click on "Gimme Five" and share your promo with friends. Once this promo is shared, it will disappear from your home screen, but don't worry, you can still continue to share your code by following option 3 (below).
- Open the left-side menu and click on "promotions," then on the "Gimme Five" button. Sharing your "High Five" promo code with friends via social media and SMS will invite them to the app.
Every friend that signs up with your code (using either method above) will earn you both promo cash.
Is there a limit to the number of contests I can enter?
We limit each participant to only one entry per contest, but participants may enter multiple contests at each skill level. (i.e., if a participant joins a $5 contest that fills, another $5 contest will be created for them to join.)
What is a free entry ticket?
A free entry ticket is awarded when you place 1st, 2nd or 3rd in any "Exhibition" (free contest). The free entry ticket gives you the opportunity to compete in the "Rookie" ($0.50 cent contest) for free.
What happens if multiple participants tie in a contest?
- If there is a tie at the end of any contest, SideLeague will combine the winning prizes and evenly distribute the prizes to the tied participants. For example, if two participants tie for 1st place, with 1st place paying $300 and 2nd place paying $60, each of the tied participants would receive $180.
- In the case of a "free-to-play" contest, a free entry ticket will be awarded to all participants who are tied for 1st, 2nd or 3rd place.
What happens if a player is injured and/or doesn't play?
- SideLeague makes its best effort to notify participants if a chosen player is not going to be playing for any reason. We highly recommend that participants enable push notifications on their device and in the app so that they are aware of any last minute lineup changes. SideLeague will do its best to notify users of any changes to their lineup, but in the end it is ultimately up to the user to be informed of such changes.
- In the event that the player is not replaced, the participant would receive 0 SL points for that player. The user has up until the scheduled start time of his/her game to edit their pick.
How do I know if I won?
After a contest ends, the next time the app is opened, participants will receive a pop-up notification that summarizes their performance for every daily fantasy contest they’ve completed. This pop-up will display their final position as well as any prizes won, achievements unlocked and experience points awarded. You can also share to Facebook from this screen.
When do contest results become final?
Contest results become final as soon as SideLeague’s data provider has reviewed and closed all games included in a given contest. This should not take longer than 48 hours after the close of the final game in a contest.
When are contest prizes distributed?
Contest prizes are distributed as soon as contest results become final. All winnings will be automatically credited to the winner’s SideLeague account.
Where do I download the app?
SideLeague is now available for free on the iTunes App Store and for Android on our website here.
How do I create an account?
SideLeague is currently supporting Facebook login and email login. We recommend connecting your Facebook when you first open the app, that way you can join contests with friends.
How do I deposit funds?
You can deposit funds by clicking on the icon with the dollar sign in the left side menu. SideLeague is no longer accepting deposits.
How do I withdraw my winnings?
You can withdraw funds by requesting an E-check or physical check via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where are my withdrawals sent?
All withdrawal requests, after approval by SideLeague, will be first credited back to the same credit card or other method of payment used to deposit funds. Any remaining amount will be distributed to the method chosen when requesting the withdrawal.
How long does it take for my withdrawal to be processed?
All withdrawals are manually reviewed by the SideLeague support team to ensure accuracy. We will try to process them on the same day. However, withdrawals can take up to two business days to process.
Do I have to pay taxes on my winnings?
You do have to pay taxes on any profit earned from SideLeague in excess of $600. Profit for this purpose will be calculated as (total prizes - entry fees paid + other earnings). If a participant is found to have earned more than $600 profit, SideLeague is required to issue a 1099 tax form and therefore may require you to submit participant's full name, address and social security number. Other earnings include, but are not limited to, promotional money and any deposit matches.
Where can I get support?
We're glad you asked! You can click on left side menu in the app and find the "Support" tab. One of our support staff is always available to chat. You may also click on the "Support" tab on our website or feel free to email us with any comments, questions or concerns at: email@example.com
Are you on social media?
We sure are! You can follow us on any of our social media sites: